Saturday 24 March 2018

The War Room: Operation Wolf


Operation Wolf was run last weekend at Good Games Melbourne, TO’d by Old Man Morin from the Cast Dice Podcast. There were 24 players on the day, making it the biggest Bolt Action event ever run in Victoria. It was three games at 900 points each.

My Army

Australian Jungle Division: 1943-1945
Order Dice- 11

2nd Lt, Regular, extra man- 60
Regular Jungle Division, 8 men, 4 SMG- 92
Regular Jungle Division, 8 men, 4 SMG- 92
Regular Jungle Division, 7 men, 3 SMG, LMG, - 99
Regular Papuan Section, 7 Men, SMG- 87
Veteran Commando Section, 8 men, 4 SMGs- 120
Regular Sniper- 50
Regular Light Howitzer, ‘Short’- 45
Regular Medium Mortar- 50
Regular Medium Machine Gun- 50
Regular Matilda II, Frog- 155 
Armies on Parade!

You can see my pre-event write up here.
__________________________________________________________________

Game 1 vs Poland

My first game was against Muddy with his beautiful Polish army. We were paired up on Tristan’s new jungle table, which I was thankful about because it was the perfect visual setting for my Aussies! (maybe not so much for the Poles…)

Poland- 12 Dice
Inexperienced 2nd Lt, extra man- 42
10 Regular infantry, BAR- 105
10 Regular infantry, BAR- 105
10 Regular infantry, BAR- 105
7 Veteran Cavalry, Polish Lances- 112
7 Veteran Cavalry, Polish Lances- 112
Regular MMG team- 50
Inexperienced Light Mortar Team- 24
Regular lone sniper- 40
Regular Anti Tank Rifle- 30
Regular medium howitzer, spotter- 85
TKS Tankette- 90
Tristan's jungle table is on point!
Muddy’s army was pretty interesting: it has some regular infantry, a sniper, a medium howitzer and a tankette. Then you get to the two units of seven Polish lancers, all of whom are veteran, have recce, and have two attacks WITH tough fighter. Basically, those units will delete anything they touch, which is a problem when my army wants to get up close with the SMGs. Alas, I choose table sides to give my mortar and howitzer a good position, and then we’re off.

The mission is to seize the five objectives, one in the middle and four in each quarter. The deployment was different to most Bolt Action missions, with a diagonal zone 9” from the centre where we needed to deploy half of our army (no first wave). This means the action will kick off pretty early as we can potentially deploy only 18” away from each other!
Getting into a good position early
I deploy my ranged elements, my MMG, and my LMG Jungle Division squad. I then forward deploy the Papuans into a swamp, make sure my sniper has a shot on Muddy’s sniper, and choose to outflank with my Frog and Commandos on the right flank. My plan for my out-flankers is to try to clear the Polish from their corner objective, while my jungle divisions moved up the centre to contest there. Muddy’s plan was probably similar as he chose to outflank both units of Lancers. 
Patrolling the jungle
Muddy put a lot of pressure on me early. Knowing my anti-tank was weak, he pushed his tankette hard up my right flank where there was nothing to really stop it apart from my howitzer on my left flank, but that was ranged in on turn one by his howitzer and taken off the board in one shot. My sniper missed his and was killed by the return fire. Two dice down turn 1, not ideal!
It's so cute!
I also deployed the Papuans badly. They have two special rules that contradict each other: they can begin the game on ambush and hidden, and they can treat rough ground as open on the first turn. I chose not the start in ambush so I could threaten the Polish advance with a charge out from cover turn 1, with the plan to actually run back through the cover after taking fire. This plan didn’t work well because the Papuans were only in light cover, so the Polish MMG killed two of them. I then had no choice but to go down when they were shot again by rifles, meaning I lost two men for no gain. Starting in ambush and hidden would have been much more valuable, but I won’t make that mistake again… or will I?
They thought they were in a good spot...
Turn 2 was much less interesting as we traded some fire and moved our troops through the jungle to contest the middle objective in later turns. The tankette struggled to hit anything, while my MMG was ranged in on by the light mortar but took no casualties.
The Poles feel a little out of place.
Turn 3 is where the fun begins as our outflanking forces can now join the fight. After some dice are pulled, I bring my Commandos on the right flank and get in a good position to threaten Muddy’s howitzer and advancing infantry next turn. He counters the Commandos by bringing on a unit of Lancers right next to the Commandos, getting ready for a devastating charge in the following turn. Luckily, I can counter this with my Frog, which drives on the board in between the two units and torches the Lancers, killing five! Sadly, I ran out of fuel, and the two remaining models did not route, and instead took many pins. But my Commandos were safe, for now.
Lancers weren't impressed when a Frog came out of nowhere.
We continued to trade shots in the centre of the board, however we couldn’t kill any each others units outright. I had to redirect a unit of Jungle Division and my LT when the second unit of Lancers came onto the board, threatening my entire left flank if unchecked. I was able to put some pins on them with SMG fire, but the veterans were able to mostly shrug off the small arms fire.
Commandos just want to say hi...
I had a good swing my way when my Commandos charged out from behind cover into a unit of rifles, taking a couple casualties but decisively winning the fight. The Commandos consolidated onto Muddy’s corner objective next to the howitzer which they wanted to assault in the next turn, but Muddy was savvy enough to put multiple pins on the Commandos to make sure they weren’t doing anything but standing on the objective. He could now safely walk up his ATR onto the objective and contest it.
Polish light mortar and officer hugging terrain.
The fifth and final turn, we basically both went to contest each of the objectives to seal a draw. It was very close, I think my Papuans were inch inch away from contesting an objective after an advance through rough ground, while I was lucky to get two surviving Jungle Division soldiers on to contest the centre objective.

Final result: Draw.

I was happy with this result as I was down early and managed to bring it back to a draw. It was also my second game with the army, so I was still learning the ropes of the Aussies. Thanks for the game Muddy!

 __________________________________________________________________
Game 2 vs British in Burma

Next my Aussies were off to rural Europe to fight against Rob’s Chindits. If only this game was on the jungle table!

British in Burma- 10 dice
Inexperienced 2nd Lt with extra man- 42
9 Veteran Chindits- 135
9 Veteran Chindits- 135
9 Veteran Chindits- 135
9 Veteran Chindits- 135
Forward artillery observer- 0
Boys anti tank rifle- 30
40mm Bofors Gun- 60
M3 Lee- 220
Mule Team- 6

The main brunt of Rob’s army was four units of 9 veterans with rapid fire and American style move & fire. Ouch! These guys were always going to be tough to kill. The list was supported by an M3 Lee and a boffors gun (heavy autocannon).
The Chindits are coming!
Our mission was to score more VPs than the opponent, and you gained them in two ways: killing order dice, and getting units into the enemy’s 6” deployment zone. This is a difficult mission because if you try to go for the deployment zone VPs, you are likely to lose more dice than you get in return, so you need to be careful and make sure your losses don’t outweigh your gains.
Jungle Division moving through cover.
There was no outflanking or forward deployment, so I opted to deploy my MMG, howitzer and mortar. I deployed them in an overlapping fire arc so there were not many spots Rob’s forces could hide, so I was happy about this. Rob deployed the boffors gun in a corner so it had plenty of options later in the game.
Controlling this cross section was crucial.
There was a road cross section in the middle of the board, with a few buildings and lots of walls to give cover. The road would be very useful to get my slow Frog up the board a bit quicker. After running on some units who took cover behind walls, I drove the frog as far as I could up a road in such a way that a house was guarding it’s flank from the boffors gun. I could now threaten Rob’s advance as none of his units wanted to eat a flamethrower shot. Rob responded by bringing his Lee onto the board opposite the Frog, but was unable to even hit it. The ATR hit the Frog though and placed a pin on it. In the following turn, the Frog activated and gunned down the ATR team at long range.
We have armour 9, we'll be fine.
I pushed most of my units up the centre, but aimed to sneak two Jungle Division units up the far right flank so I could get to the deployment zone and kill the artillery. This made Rob send some Chindits after them but he was unable to get any good shots, effectively splitting his forces. This is the only time I used the Australian ‘Jungle Warfare Masters’ special rule, which means my units can go down if they trigger an enemy ambush. This certainly saved multiple models from death as Rob’s rifles are very powerful.

I thought I was in a good position as Rob’s forces were unable to move up because of the threat of the Frog, and my howitzer/ mortar began ranging in on the infantry, forcing them to go down to minimize casualties. However, the turning point was turn 4 when Rob’s artillery strike came down and forced me to split my forces. I made a mistake of rushing forwards instead of retreating backwards, and put both my Papuans and Frog in a bad spot. The Frog got a shot in on some Chindits, but missed, and was subsequently pinned out for at least a turn by the strike.
The Lee waits for its moment to strike.
Rob’s time had come, and he was able to push his Chindits up to kill my Papuans and really threaten the Frog with the Lee. On the left flank, he pulled a unit out of a building and began running towards my deployment zone. On my right flank, a Jungle Division squad was assaulted and killed by Chindits before I could get into the boffers gun. I got desperate and assaulted them back with my second unit, hoping my SMGs would get the job done despite being regular. Luckily, I got up and gave me some breathing room on the right flank.
You don't want a Lee behind you...
I felt this game was very even until the final turn. My mortar ranged in on the Lee, failing to do damage but putting three pins on it. However, the pins weren’t enough to stop it from activating, driving behind my Frog, finally hitting after many turns of missing, and turning it into a smoking wreck.

The Commandos had come to join my Jungle Division on the right flank, and were in a position to win me the game. The Commandos were in assault range of the boffors (not to mention the deployment zone!), but had two pins and failed to activate.  The Jungle Division then found themselves out in the open, copping a boffers round at close round, taking them off and denying them getting to the objective. On the other side of the board, my third Jungle Division went to assault a pinned out unit of Chindits who were in the open, but sadly failed to overcome the veteran’s defenses.

Final result: Loss

I really enjoyed this game because it was very tactical, but I was certainly disappointed after my army collapsed on the final turn. Rob is a talented player though, so I was glad I had the pleasure of playing him!
__________________________________________________________________
Game 3 vs American GIs

For the final game, I was placed on my nemesis table, Stalingrad, against Nathan’s American list. I’ve played Nathan in the last three events now, so he must get sick of playing me! At least I was using a different army this time so it was a bit more interesting.

Americans- 10 Dice
Regular 2nd Lt, extra man- 60
8 Regular infantry, SMG + 2xBAR- 93
8 Regular infantry, SMG + 2xBAR- 93
6 Regular Infantry, SMG- 63
6 Regular Infantry, SMG- 63
6 Regular Infantry, SMG- 63
Veteran Sniper Team, pistol- 67
Regular Bazooka Team- 60
M8 Greyhound- 135
M4 Sherman- 200

For those outside the Victorian events meta, the Stalingrad table looks amazing, but it is a real pain to play on. The terrain is modular and there are crates literally all over the board, making for any fight to be painfully slow as you can’t make run moves through most of the board. Alas, it was time to throw down!
Stalingrad is a magnificent board, but a pain to play on!
Nathan’s list wasn’t exactly optimized, with a bunch of small regular infantry squads supported by an M8 Greyhound and an M4 Sherman. The tanks were kind of scary, but I didn’t have much of a problem against the rest of Nathan’s infantry. I would try to focus on the infantry and leave the armour to do their thing.

The final mission was Heartbreak Ridge, which saw three objectives, one in the centre and two in opposite table quarters. I once again decided to outflank with the Commandos and Frog, which should allow me to try to contest Nathan’s home objective.
Nice view of the map.
My table side had a nice ruined building which I could deploy my sniper, MMG and howitzer in to give them all a good overview of the battlefield. Nathan deployed his sniper first, so I made sure my sniper had a shot on his. This worked well because unfortunately for Nathan, the first dice of the game saw his sniper shot through the eyes!
Nathan's sniper was marked for an early death.
I also forward deployed my Papuans in a position that they could be in hard cover while being semi threatening if they were left unchecked. However, I made the mistake again of not starting the game in ambush and hidden, so they were forced to go down to avoid casualties when they started taking fire. This was at least better than their situation in the first game where they were much more exposed and in a worse position to contest an objective later in the game.
Papuans forward deploy to get a good position early.
I decided to push two units of Jungle Division up the centre of the table to reinforce the Papuans, however this left them exposed when the Sherman came on and began gunning them down with machine gun fire. These two units were decimated over a few turns, but would end the game with a couple of models left. Luckily my mortar kept pressuring the Sherman to move, making it take shooting penalties for movement, down and range.
The Sherman joins the battle, with infantry close behind.
My ranged elements continued to punish the footslogging Americans as they crossed the board. The sniper put a few pins on some units, while my MMG and Jungle Division on the right hand side where pinning down one of Nathan’s units.
Jungle Divisons march out into no-man's land.
The Commandos rushed on by turn three, putting themselves in a good position for an assault the following turn. The Frog decided not to show up until the turn later, which left the Commandos out in the cold a little bit. However, I got the first dice of turn 4 and assaulted a unit of Americans, easily taking them off the board, and consolidating into cover from the Greyhound. The Frog bumbled on close behind, getting ready to start torching units off the objective in the next turn.
The Frog and Commandos get the job done.
The last two turns weren’t good for Nathan, as my ranged firepower prevented him from really moving up the board far enough to pressure the objectives. I was able to claim the centre objective, and the outflankers cleared Nathan’s home objective, meaning I had all three objectives to gain a major victory.
The Papuans come to the party a bit late.

Result: Victory

Nathan is always fun to play against, so thanks to him! He’s currently working on a new Soviet army so hopefully he will have them at the next event.


__________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading!

We'll aim to do some more battle reports and hobby updates in the coming weeks.

Follow us on Facebook or leave a comment below!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, I've not played BA, but this made me interested in it! Appreciate you posting.

    ReplyDelete